Classroom of the Elite V17: Ch 5 Part 2

 

The sports festival began without Ayanokōji-kun. An electric bulletin board was set up on the ground so that one could always see which classes were doing well and how they were doing.

Ryūen-san’s class started off at the top of the second-years, but soon after, our Class B took first place and has been holding onto that position. Ichinose-san’s Class C is in third place, and Sakaynagi-san’s Class A is in fourth place, an ideal ranking.

I hope things will continue to go on like this without any upheaval until the end of the event. I had a lot of time to kill before the next competition, so I moved to the cheering section.

“My my, I just wanted to congratulate you, Horikita-senpai!”       Yagami-kun, a first-year Class B student, approached me.

“It seems that Yagami-kun’s class is also fighting quite well. You are now in second place by a narrow margin, aren’t you?”

“It’s more astonishing that my senpai is in first place. I can’t believe you started in Class D last year.”

“Is that a compliment? Or is there sarcasm mixed in?”

“Not in the slightest. I genuinely respect you. But not as much as the student council president, if I’m going to be painfully honest.”            Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the very moment when Student Council President Nagumo broke through the finishing line tape.

“The third-year senpais were talking earlier, and they said this is his fifth consecutive first place finish.”

As the girls cheered, the guests of honor turned their attention to the student council president. However, Student Council President Nagumo left the scene with a blank expression on his face and, without so much as responding to the girls who called out to him, told them that he would like to be alone and solemnly walked away.

“I’d want to go compliment him, but he doesn’t look the least bit happy.”

“Even if he wins or loses, it’s not as if this competition matters to him in the slightest. His graduation from Class A was secured long ago. Perhaps he’s just getting bored.”

Certainly, for the student council president, who is in a solid position in terms of rankings, the results of the sports festival are meaningless; he is aiming for first place because he doesn’t wish to look bad in front of the current students and guests, I suppose.

“I’m going to have a little talk with the president.”

“I see. I have another competition, so I’ll leave you now, senpai.”

After exchanging a few words with Yagami-kun, I decided to approach the student council president. Beside Nagumo-senpai, another third-year girl called out to him.

Kiryūin-senpai, a third year Class B student. She is someone I have heard rumors about from time to time in my interactions with third-year students. I know that she is an exceptional student on the OAA.

Since I couldn’t interrupt the conversation, I decided to stand by and wait.

“Congratulations on your fifth straight win, Nagumo.”

“What do you want?”

“You don’t have to be so rude. I’m just concerned that you don’t look happy with your success. It seems there were more than one or two people giving you a cheer.”

“I’m not really in the mood for jokes. How can you call me successful just because I won a simple competition?”

“You could have messed around with the rankings and competed against weaker students, but it doesn’t seem like you cared too much with who you went up against.” Kiryūin-senpai pointed out that he wasn’t trying to cut corners. “I heard that Ayanokōji is absent, is that the reason for the unflattering look on your face?”

Ayanokōji-kun. Once again, his name popped up.

The student council president exhaled a quiet sigh without looking back at Kiryūin-senpai.

“I thought that guy would finally be able to give me a challenge. I guess I was wrong.”

“You poor, poor thing. I’ll be your opponent, then, shall I?”          At such provocative words, student council president Nagumo gave a sideways glance at Kiryūin-senpai, the first time he looked over. However, seeing the fearless smile on her face, he turned away again.

“That’s a cheap lie. Even if I wanted to, I can’t imagine you’d ever compete with me.”

“Hmph. I guess I’ve been found out.” Kiryūin-senpai says so as she stands next to Nagumo-senpai’s shoulders.  “One more event and I have fulfilled my minimum obligation. After that, I plan to relax and watch the games.”

“I’m sure you will.”


 

“You should no longer be concerned with juniors. At least you’ve dominated your grade level and secured Class A. You’re the student council president. That’s enough. I suggest you graduate quietly.”   Kiryūin-senpai admonished as if she was giving advice.

“Are you trying to be helpful? What’s gotten into you? I’ve talked to you more in the past six months than I did before Ayanokōji was involved.”

“I suppose you’re right.”

“Well, you don’t need to worry. I don’t need you to tell me that I should give up on playing with Ayanokōji. The kid bailed on me. There’s no point in going after him if I’ll just be set up like this again.”

“If he loses in a direct confrontation with the student council president, how would he be able to maintain the same status as before? Try to understand why he’s running away. He’s got a cute and cuddly side to him.”

Fighting the student council president? Perhaps that’s why he went to the student council room the other day, to talk about such matters? It also aligns with the message Nagumo-senpai entrusted me with.

Kiryūin-senpai lightly glanced at me, but walked away without leaving any particular words.

“Sorry to keep you waiting, Suzune. What do you want?”

“Ah, well, I was going to ask you the same thing as Kiryūin-senpai. I saw student council president Nagumo-senpai take first place, but you didn’t look happy at all. Also... you seem to have promised Ayanokōji-kun that you would compete with him in the sports festival?”

“Clearly, it didn’t work out in the end. He seems to be absent. It is what it is.”

Ayanokōji-kun told me his absence was not due to illness, but rather a strategy involving Sakayanagi-san. It seems that Student Council President Nagumo doesn’t know that fact, and it would be better not to let him know.

“Hey, lunch is soon isn’t it? Come hang out with me.”

I couldn’t refuse the request, as it was coming from the student council president and agreed to do so.

A short time later, during the lunch break, I was looking at the lunches provided on the grounds. I could choose what I wanted from this array of meals. Sandwiches and other light meals. The lineup was diverse, ranging from a variety of dishes such as pork cutlet served on top of a bowl of rice to more stamina-and strength-enhancing dishes.

I was both impressed and appalled by the school’s thoroughness and attention to detail. Moreover, the prerequisite is that the food must be consumed, and you can take more than one. Most of the students just picked one, but I observed that there were some boys who took more than one. I saw a large student who happily carried three or four of them on his chest. If so, you’re either still underestimating this school or you’re a very big boy.

“Yo, thanks for waiting.”

I was just reaching for a light meal when I was approached by student council president, Nagumo-senpai.

“No problem, senpai. However, I have a meeting, so if you could make this quick, that would be great.”

“Ah. Well then, I want to know something about Ayanokōji. I heard he’s out sick, but how did he suddenly get sick?”

Although he didn’t point it out earlier, apparently student council president Nagumo-senpai is suspicious of him.

“I only received a notice in the morning apologizing for his absence, because an absent student loses 10 points. If he is sick, I can’t force him to show up.”

I am the only one who knows he was absent for another reason.

Naturally, I need to cover that.

“I deeply hope he’s not feeling well.”

“Pardon me, senpai?”

I don’t think I gave it away from my attitude. I wonder if the student council president has another reason to think otherwise.

“You heard what Kiryūin said. Maybe he didn’t want to be humiliated and decided to shut himself in.”

“I suppose it’s always a possibility.”

I gave a safe response so as not to provoke him.

“Alright well... I guess that’ll end up costing your year.”

“What... Do you mean by that?”

“Well, the only way to make up for his absence, is to take it out on someone else, right?” He didn’t directly answer my question, but mumbled to himself.

The student council president then raised his hand lightly to let me know he’s leaving and walked away without picking up his lunch.

“Take it out on our year? What does he mean by cost...?”

It seems like Ayanokōji’s reputation is really all over the place. I, too, was impressed with him again today at the sports festival. When he announced that he would be absent, I was nervous about what would happen, but when events progressed, it turned out that Sakayanagi-san was also absent today.

Without a doubt, Ayanokōji did something to contain Sakayanagi-san. And the results are evident in the current Class A scores and rankings. If suddenly your commander is unable to come out to the field, it is not surprising that the coordination is not up to snuff.

I feel a little sorry for them, but this is a serious game.   I’ll make sure to accumulate wins wherever I can.

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url